This foot soak is hands down my favourite way to spend a night in.
After a long week of wearing heels, it feels good to kick back with a cup of tea and catch up on some blog reading while soaking my feet.
Friday nights are actually when I like to treat myself to a pampering session, for that reason.
Once the work week ends, it feels nice to prep for the upcoming weekend by using a hair treatment and body scrub, followed by a coating of my fancy body butter.
Although, there is just one little thing about my Friday night ritual…
That’s right, folks. The Keenie residence does not have a bath.
Sad, I know. But I can handle it — for now.
So, as a substitute to what would be ‘bath time’ on a Friday, I indulge in a foot soaking.
This foot soak smells so so good.
The orange and spearmint gives off such a lovely scent, that instantly helps to lift your mood and make you feel relaxed.
The foot soak is also made using things you will find in your pantry or garden, so it’s a lot more cost-effective than buying from the store.
Plus, I like making my own as I know what is going in the mixture, like organic oranges and rosemary from the garden that have no added chemicals or pesticides.
Simply add a couple of tablespoons of the mixture into a warm water and soak for 20-30 minutes.
For an extra bit of pampering, try using pumice near the end of the foot soak to remove any calluses and finish off with a moisturiser.
Foot Soak Benefits
– Epsom Salt and Himalayan Salt are high in magnesium and known for their detoxifying properties, helping to flush toxins from your body. These magnesium rich salts can also help to reduce pain and inflammation.
– Baking soda is alkaline which means it can help to balance the PH levels in your body but will also leave your feet feeling silky smooth. On top of this, it is also a natural deodorising agent and good for neutralising any feet odour.
– Orange is a natural antidepressant and can help to elevate mood, great if you’ve had a particularly stressful day. It also has anti-inflammatory properties and can help to soothe sore muscles.
– Rosemary is also known to relieve stress and muscle pain. It is also believed to have medicinal purposes by speeding the healing process of cuts or bruises and treating skin irritations and joint problems such as arthritis.
– Spearmint is gentler than peppermint but still has the same antiseptic and anti-fungal properties, helping to improve nail infections. Due to its menthol content, it can help with blood circulation and muscle spasms as well as easing anxiety or restlessness by relax the nerves and clearing the mind.
Instructions for making DIY Foot Soak
The materials you will need to make this soothing foot soak are 1/3 cup of Epsom Salts, 1/3 cup of Pink Himalayan Salt, 1/4 cup of Baking Soda, the skin of one orange, two stalks of fresh rosemary, 20-30 drops of orange essential oil and 10-15 drops of spearmint essential oil.
1. Firstly start by peeling the orange skin, removing as much as the pith (white stuff) as possible. Pick some fresh rosemary and trim the leaves from the stalks.
2. Then, place the orange peel and rosemary into the oven to dehydrate. Set the over to the lowest possible temperature and bake for 2 hours.
3. In the meantime, combine Epsom Salt, Pink Himalayan Salt and Baking Soda in a bowl.
4. Add orange and spearmint essential oils to the salt and baking soda mixture.
5. Once the rosemary and orange skins have dried, coarsely chop the peel.
6. Add the rosemary and orange peel to the mixture.
7. Stored in an air tight container, this foot soak will last for at least 6 months.